Re: basic newbie help

Huy T. wrote:

Hey all I'm looking for a new operating system to use as a primary OS instead of Windows XP. I noticed that there is extensive documentation located at tldp.org. Could anyone share any sites with me for expediting a newer user to getting up and setup running this system effectively? Starting off by installing a HDD installation of Knoppix since I heard it was basically debian.

Books even?  How did you all learn?  Any assistance is much appreciated.

If you're a newbie and want to avoid complicated installation issues, go with Mepis. It is much more compatible with Debian and much easier to install onto your harddrive than Knoppix. Knoppix requires a lot of work for a newbie (like manual partitioning, manually copying the filesystem over, editing the fstab file on your own...just too much stuff to do if you don't know linux at all). Mepis is designed to be installed onto your hard drive. The big problem with both Mepis and Knoppix, however, is that they are based on Debian's unstable branch. Thus, they can break very easily. If you can handle it, try to install Debian Sarge (the testing version of Debian). This is very stable and after the installation process is done, you'll be much happier. As for a good book, I've heard great things about /The Linux Cookbook/. I've never read it myself, but it's based on Debian and a lot of people seem to like it. If you want to learn Linux, do what I did. Use it. Run into problems. Google for answers. If you can't find the answer on google, then voice your problems on mailing lists and read the responses. Read the responses.