basic newbie help

Hey all I'm looking for a new operating system to use as a primary OS instead of Windows XP. I noticed that there is extensive documentation located at tldp.org. Could anyone share any sites with me for expediting a newer user to getting up and setup running this system effectively? Starting off by installing a HDD installation of Knoppix since I heard it was basically debian.

Books even?  How did you all learn?  Any assistance is much appreciated.