Re: basic newbie help

On (12/10/04 09:22), Huy T. wrote:
> Hey all I'm looking for a new operating system to use as a primary OS
> instead of Windows XP.  I noticed that there is extensive documentation
> located at tldp.org.  Could anyone share any sites with me for
> expediting a newer user to getting up and setup running this system
> effectively?  Starting off by installing a HDD installation of Knoppix
> since I heard it was basically debian.
>
> Books even?  How did you all learn?  Any assistance is much appreciated.

I've just installed Xandros 2.0, open circulation edition for a client.
It is debian based and seems to straddle the windows/linux divide well.

I also trialed Libranet 2.8.1 but found it much more difficult to
configure - it is comparable to the current Debian Sarge installer
- possible more difficult to configure.  There are some things I like
about it but someone used to windows will struggle for a while.

You choices are:

Go with the full blown Debian Sarge install which works well but you
will have a steep learning curve to climb in terms of familiarising
yourself with Linux: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition is a good
introduction and Linux Desk Reference by Scott Hawkins is a good
reference for *nix commands

Install Xandros and have a fully configured working system fairly
quickly and then explore the deeper workings of Debian and Linux at
leisure.

Try Knoppix as a taster and if you like it, do a hard disk install.

As a relative newb, I installed Debian Woody 18 months ago and learned
by following this list, reading and trial and error (quite a few of
those ;)  I've been running sid since last December without major
problems.

Sources:

http://www.xandros.com/
http://www.libranet.com/