Re: MediaCenter auto-login

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 02:37:08PM +0200, Jacobo221 wrote:

> > If you use GDM as your Display Manager, it has a feature to do
> > Auto-Login.
>
> hmm... "How can I auto-login as a _user_ (still, not as root, since i wouldn't
> like any ap to corupt my system) in the Command Lie Interface? (the idea
> is not to use X)" <- so, no X ;-)

Hmmm.  I did not read the thread but this can be achieved by

# cd /etc/pam.d
# cp  gdm gdm-noautologin
# cp -f  gdm-autologin  gdm

This will skip password login to user account.

Then go to GDM start screen and select configuration and set
autologin user name there.  This will allow initial user name to be
provided automatically.  At this toime you can choose desktop
environment (Gnome, KDE, XFce,...)

or I think (vague memory) first part can be simplified:

# dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low gdm

If you need to start arbitual program during standard X start up, drop
start up script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/

> > Okay. hope this helps
>
> Not really :-( but thanks a lot for trying out with helping me :-)
>
> My plan is to avoid X wherever it is possible. Since it's a MediaCenter, i
> won't expense on it any new processor or a hard disc bigger than 1GB ;-)
> so only CLI will be there.
>
> Again, thanks.
>
> I hope someone comes up with the definitive solution ;)

Hmmm... I think 1GB is enough for basic desktop if you are careful.
250 MB is good console only system if you are careful.

Anyway, for complete answer will likely not ibe answered in few lines
here.  You are at work on non-trivial Project and gratis support for
such project is limitted.  Hire consultant or look for google for some
howto and read some basic Debian and Linux documentation, i.e., learn
how to do this yourself.  Good luck.

Cheers,

Osamu

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>  Brussels Belgium, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract