Re: passwd/su how to no password also two modules files?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:13:52 -0400, ekco9595@rogers.com
<ekco9595@rogers.com> wrote:
> On October 10, 2004 03:30 am, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:40:21 -0400, Steve <ekco9595@rogers.com> wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > > Im trying to do no password for my user account and root (please dont
> > > warn me about that ;0, It brings such freedom I love it.) I got it to
> > > work in /etc/passwd but just putting :: for passwd field and that works
> > > however when i do "su" it asks me for password and if i just press enter
> > > it doesnt think its correct anyonw know how i can get around that? (i
> > > havent hade time to mess with it yet so forgive me if its something
> > > obvious)
> >
> > If you ask for something like that, means you probably don't know
> > enough about your system, and IMHO you are looking for troubles, i
> > mean, if you look in the "su" man you'll find you can use "su -" or
> > "su root"...
> >

> no it doesnt mean that at all, yes su or su - or su root, i know whats your
> point? anyways I got it working (hade to edit /etc/pam.d/su conf) and it
> works fine in cmd line with no pass cept in X under kde it doesnt work  it
> keeps prompting for pass and kde has its own pam conf modules which im
> tryingto get it working under kde as well any help by anyone would be
> appericated.

Sorry if i seemed harsh.

I should have check if what suggested was useful, it wasn't.
(I still think is a bad idea =)

> > > also,
> > > im wondering how you manage different /etc/modules config files for
> > > boot another kernel its gonna still use your other module config files so
> > > are you just supposed to replace the module configs files respective
> > > before you reboot or? thanks.
> >
> > Usually your HW don't change on reboot (or don't change much =) so
> > probably i'm missing something...
> >

> im not sure what your talking about?

Kernel modules are needed by your HW, so if don't add/remove HW parts
between boots, usually it will need the same modules (i give you that
sometimes between kernels the same module change name).

> What im meaning is say i have a 2.4.xx kern and a 2.6.xx kern they both are
> gonna excute /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf but say i want differeent
> modules for the different kernels (i dont want them excuting the same module
> config file) so then would I just have to switch between the config files
> ahead of time before i reboot to the toher kernel or is there a better way of
> doing this?

The /etc/modules.conf IIRC is built at boot time by the modutils
package for the 2.4.x kernels and module-init-tools for the 2.6.x
kernels parsing the /etc/modutils dir. The /etc/modules instead is
file is a static file. I think that hotplug will do the work for you,

Andrea