Re: passwd/su how to no password also two modules files?

On October 10, 2004 03:30 am, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:40:21 -0400, Steve <ekco9595@rogers.com> wrote:
> > Hey,
> > Im trying to do no password for my user account and root (please dont
> > warn me about that ;0, It brings such freedom I love it.) I got it to
> > work in /etc/passwd but just putting :: for passwd field and that works
> > however when i do "su" it asks me for password and if i just press enter
> > it doesnt think its correct anyonw know how i can get around that? (i
> > havent hade time to mess with it yet so forgive me if its something
> > obvious)
>
> If you ask for something like that, means you probably don't know
> enough about your system, and IMHO you are looking for troubles, i
> mean, if you look in the "su" man you'll find you can use "su -" or
> "su root"...

no it doesnt mean that at all, yes su or su - or su root, i know whats your
point? anyways I got it working (hade to edit /etc/pam.d/su conf) and it
works fine in cmd line with no pass cept in X under kde it doesnt work  it
keeps prompting for pass and kde has its own pam conf modules which im
tryingto get it working under kde as well any help by anyone would be
appericated.

> > also,
> > im wondering how you manage different /etc/modules config files for
> > boot another kernel its gonna still use your other module config files so
> > are you just supposed to replace the module configs files respective
> > before you reboot or? thanks.
>
> Usually your HW don't change on reboot (or don't change much =) so
> probably i'm missing something...

im not sure what your talking about?
What im meaning is say i have a 2.4.xx kern and a 2.6.xx kern they both are
gonna excute /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf but say i want differeent
modules for the different kernels (i dont want them excuting the same module
config file) so then would I just have to switch between the config files
ahead of time before i reboot to the toher kernel or is there a better way of
doing this?

Steve.