Re: opengl, ati radeon mobility m7

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:53:29 -0700 (PDT), Richard Weil <rcweil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I took a quick look at the dri troubleshooting and I couldn't find
> anything specific to the Mobility series.
>
> The dri pages made me think, though ... should the kernel be loading
> any particular modules as opposed to XFree? Looking at lsmod, I have:
>
> radeon
> intel_agp
> agpgart
>
> There is no drm kernel module. All of the dri, drm, glx is in the XFree
> log. Is there a missing kernel module?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>

> --- Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:
>
> > Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

> > > Try using the "radeon" driver instead of the "ati" driver and see
> > what happens.
> >
> > I believe that the Mobility series of Radeons use an entirely
> > different
> > chipset, which is not understood by the DRI developers.
> >
> > The only feasible way (of which I know) to get DRI on the Mobility
> > Radeon is to use the proprietary fglrx drivers from ATI.  Just a
> > warning though, their quality is lacking.

On your XF86Config-4 are you using "ati" or "radeon" driver?

Regarding your question about kernel modules, DRI/DRM needs a kernel
infrastructure and is provided by a module for your card (in your case
the radeon kernel module) and a module for your chipset (in your case
the intel_agp).

I suppose you're using a Debian kenel image, and seems the modules are
correctly loaded, anyway you can try to load the manually, i think in
this order intel_agp, agpgart, radeon then start X and look with
glxinfo if you have DRI working.

Andrea

P.S. found this on google http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/t30.html