Re: Problem with DSL and /etc/resolv.conf

On Friday 08 October 2004 04:21 pm, Andrew Carter wrote:
> I'm having a problem with my /etc/resolv.conf file and I'm hoping
> someone might be able to explain what is going on.  My home network
> has an ActionTec wireless DSL modem/router running as the DHCP.  Qwest
> is my DSL provider.  I have three Macintoshes, an XP box, and a
> Debian/FreeBSD dual boot box.  The Debian and FreeBSD box both have
> the same problem.  The Macs and XP don't.
>
> When the computer boots up and gets DHCP information, it puts two
> addresses in the /etc/resolv.conf file for nameservers.  One is the
> router address (192.168.0.1) and the other is one of the two ISP DNS
> servers.  This causes any internet traffic to go unresolved.  If I
> change the entry in /etc/resolv.conf that contains the router address
> to the other ISP DNS server, everything works just great.  However,
> the next time I boot up the machine, it goes back to the router+ISP
> address.
>
> Since Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD, I looked at what its
> /etc/resolv.conf file contains.  It has the same thing but works just
> fine.
>
> So, I have three questions:
>
> 1.  Should my router's ip address be in the resolv.conf file?
> 2.  Shouldn't my router just forward DNS requests to the ISP DNS servers?
> 3.  How can I keep the resolv.conf file from changing each time I reboot?
> 4.  Why does this fail for Linux/FreeBSD but not for OS X or XP?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

I found that dhcp3-client would not overwrite whatever was in my resolv.conf
whereas dhcp-client would overwrite my entries in resolv.conf.

I suggest using dhcp3-client and editing the entries in resolv.conf to
whatever works and then rebooting to see if those changes persist.

John