Re: CUPS to USB printing no longer working

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:44:02 +1000, Robert S <robert_s@emailme.net.au> wrote:
> >> Oct  7 19:25:39 debian kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2,
> >> assigned device number 4
> >> Oct  7 19:25:39 debian kernel: usb.c: ignoring set_interface for dev 4,
> >> iface 0, alt 0
> >> Oct  7 19:25:39 debian kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
> >> printer
> >> dev 4 if 0 alt 0
> >> Oct  7 19:25:40 debian /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup printer for USB
> >> product
> >> 4f9/11b/100
> >> Oct  7 19:25:40 debian /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user
> >> mode
> >> driver printer
> >>

> > Look if you have the "usblp" module (modprobe -l | grep usblp), and
> > try to load it manually, for some reasons hotplug can't find it...
> >

> I can't find a /dev/usblp.  "modprobe -l | grep usblp" gives no output.
>
> # uname -r
> 2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> Should I upgrade to another kernel??  I'm running woody and want to avoid
> "hacks" in the interest of stability.

Sorry, i should have checked if the USB printer module name was
changed (that name is valid for kernels 2.6.x). You probably don't
need to change a working system, but IMHO maybe you should install a
"proper" Woody kernel, your is a "boot floppy" variant. =)

Anyway, your printer was working and the error message made me think
you only need to load the proper USB kernel module for the printer, so
look if you can find "usbpr" (should be called like this on 2.4.x)
module name and if not loaded try to manually load it and then restart
CUPS...

Andrea