Re: [OT] [Debian-User] Best choice hardware?

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:03:14 +0530, Didar Hussain <didar@uics-india.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning to buy a new box. I'm wondering what kind of hardware
> I should be going in for? I'm wondering whether I should go for
> AMD64 or P4 w/ HT. I've decide to go with 1 GB RAM. Also, I'm
> wondering about the mainboard (motherboard). I would like to have
> decent hardware support like sound and video. Oh, and I will be
> using it for serious stuff like compiling, development and to
> watch video ;) My primary OS is Debian. So, I would like Debian
> or Debian-based distros to work well.

Either-way is good hardware, although AMD64 does look good (for me at
least) despite the occasional wrinkles (as some software are still
stuck in 32 bit mode).

If it goes down to price though the Pentium IV would be cheaper
compared to its AMD64 equivalent. The AMD64 doesn't have symmetric
multi-threading like the Intel chips do, but it's better-engineered
when you've got more processors and memory to deploy without resorting
to cheats like PAE (as it's a 64bit chip).

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com