Re: Good tool for light photo editing?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:31:41 -0400, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> I just got my first set of pictures on CD's (vacation pics), and I wan't to
> put them up on my web server.
>
> What's a good tool to do some really lightweight editeing on them with?
> Mostly I just need to rotate the vertical ones, but I _might_ do just a
> little cropping on some few.

I know GIMP is the preferred tool for a lot of people, but I've
generally found the ImageMagick suite (convert or mogrify, in this
case) to be easier to use for simple things.  For example, if you want
to crop to a particular size centered at a particular point, it's easy
to do this with convert and the "-crop" option.  Rotating and scaling
are similarly easy to do.  Where the GIMP is better is when you have
to do anything complicated or you want to eyeball the crop region.

I even have a script that takes a directory of images, creates small
and thumbnail versions using mogrify, and creates skeleton HTML files
for them.  You can see a sample of the output at
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/mmarsh/images/falls_7dec2002/

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh