Re: Multiple versions of gcc installed

Brendan Simon said on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:11:49PM +1000:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Unfortunately this is not practicle on a multi user machine where
> different users may want to use different versions of the compiler.
> gcc is designed to have multiple versions installed and be able to call
> it from the common driver program, usually the driver of the latest version.
> The real solution is to fix the build and/or filesystem to behave as gcc
> designers and architects intended.

While this may be true, if you want to use multiple compiler versions at the
same time under Debian, you can, by referring to gcc-2.95 or gcc-3.3 where you
would otherwise refer to gcc.  Many Makefiles read the compiler to use out of
the CC and CXX environment variables, so this is not nearly as painful as you
seem to think it is.

I maintain a multi-user environment where we use both gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.4, and
it works fine.