Re: Multiple versions of gcc installed

Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Brendan Simon wrote:

I have 2 debian powerpc machines with testing and stable installed.
gcc-2.95.4 is installed on stable and gcc-3.3.4 on testing.
I want to compile with the same compiler on both so I installed gcc-2.95 on the testing machine.
i.e. I have 3.3.4 and 2.95.4 installed simulataneously.

A better option I found when having two version of gcc is this.
When two version are installed, gcc is a symbolic link to one of it.
So whenever you need to switch between the versions, simply change the
symbolic link to the specific compiler. That should work, atleast for
me on x86. :-)

Unfortunately this is not practicle on a multi user machine where different users may want to use different versions of the compiler. gcc is designed to have multiple versions installed and be able to call it from the common driver program, usually the driver of the latest version. The real solution is to fix the build and/or filesystem to behave as gcc designers and architects intended.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.