Re: Squid and increaing from "4096 file descriptors"

Jeff Green wrote:

In running a squid on a large and capable (Dual Xeon 4GB RAM) server to supply furniture graphics for a large website we are unable to find any way to increase the number of available file descriptors beyond 4096. The server has the following ulimits:-
ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 32768
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) unlimited
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max gives

206283

and /etc/default/squid contains
SQUID_MAXFD=32768

I assume we need to rebuild the package after changing the appropriate files but does anyone have any clue what changes we need to make to which files?

Jeff

Silly question possibly but have you checked the squid site for configuration information. http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/contents.htm. I could be barking up the wrong tree but there seemed to possibly valid info there.
A "just a thought" response
from
Robin