Re: raid barfs at startup with 2.6 kernel

  --received from Justin Guerin--

> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 07:21, Blake Swadling wrote:
> > OK, firstly i will say i know bugger all about the way raid works.
> > however i have managed to set up, both running software raid (raid0).
> > one uses 2 SATA drives and the other has 2 ATA drives
> >
> > When I upgrade to kernel 2.6.* the raid barfs on both machines with the
> > following errors
> >
> > [snip error messages]
> >
> > If i manually start run mdadm and raid2 and then do mount -a on both
> > machines the scripts after logging in then all is fine.  mdadm-raid
> > always fails hence the use of raidtools. All packages are up to date.
> >
> > It appears to me that the raid as trying to start before the modules are
> > present. Has anyone seen this?   how do i get it to load correctly now.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Blake
>
> You don't indicate how you are upgrading the kernel, but if you're using the
> precompiled Debian kernels, you will need to make sure the raid drivers are
> included in the initial ram disk.  "man mkinitrd" will help you here.

I agree.  Chances are you are using the Debian kernel-image
packages.  A simple

	mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-<kernel_version>

with telling your boot loader to use this init image during boot should
get you back up and running if indeed it is a problem with modules not
getting loaded soon enough.

> If you have compiled your kernel yourself, did you either A) compile in all
> raid / filesystem support you need or B) add the modules you need to the
> initial ram disk?
>
> If you've done the above and are still seeing problems, check out the list
> archives for threads on moving the raid start back in the boot sequence.
> I'm sorry I don't have the link available.
>
> If none of this helps, please be more specific with your configuration,
> differences between what works and what doesn't, and what you've tried so
> far.
>
> Justin Guerin

Paul

--