Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

Marc Wilson said on Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:58:07AM -0700:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:22:28AM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> > - You don't have to rerun grub every time you changed the config file
>
> Except that you do, unless you believe in symlinks for your kernels..

Minor nit: you don't have to run grub if you change the grub config; if you
install a new kernel and don't want to use symlinks (which the debian kernel
packages setup by default), then you need to edit your grub config.

> > - Grub has an interactive shell, so that if you do foul up the
> >  config file, you have a pretty decent chance of saving yourself and
> >  navigating to a bootable kernel.
>
> Which is unimportant for 99.9% of users.

You think?  I'll grant that most users aren't going to be screwing with their
bootloader, but having the ability to recover from a class of errors in the
bootloader matters a lot to the user that this happens to.  Even if they know
nothing about GRUB, they could at least get help.

> For the clueless, there is no significant difference between lilo and grub.
> The default was changed to grub to satisfy the 'leet, not the clueless.
> Fortunately it's one thing that you can change back, after installing.

And to satisfy those who support the clueless.

Unfortunately, the Debian installer warns that using GRUB with XFS as your root
filesystem is a no go, so it looks like LILO will be staying around on my
systems for a while longer.