Re: cron, or something, chatters too much

Incoming from David A. Cobb:

> PROB: While I'm working (TTY1 as root) I get interrupted every minute or
> so by about 10 lines of:
>
> PAM_unix[12345] (cron) session started for user [root, mail,
> amvis-stats] . . .
> and
> PAM_unix[23456] (cron) session ended for ....
>
> I guess the information is useful ( except that none of the components
> involved are configured to do anything useful yet ).
> But I don't want it on my TTY !!!!!  I pops into the middle of an info

You must have lost /etc/syslog.conf

I know some setups send all this stuff to one of the ALT-Fn consoles
(/dev/tty8? Though I've never looked for it), but you should be able
to redirect it easily enough:

daemon.*;mail.none;\
        news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\