Re: Recommendations for Linux compatible wireless LAN PCMCIA card

Alex Polite wrote:

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:29:00PM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
I have a Dell Latitude C640 laptop [1] that I would like to get hooked
to the network via wireless. Any recommendations for good  PCMCIA WLAN
cards (802.11b/g/a)that are Linux-compatible as well (native drivers
that is)? How would I configure the wireless interface in
/etc/network/interfaces?

I'm very happy with my D-link AirXpert DWL-AG650. It supports a,b and
g and there are native open source linux drivers from the Madwifi
project. Anything with the Atheros chipset is supported.

You have to compile the drivers yourself and you should be comfortable
with compiling your own kernel.

Some nice danish guy put up a page and some packages for building the
drivers as debian packages.

http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/madwifi

alex

Were you able to compile the .debs?  I could not.  It just ran and ran
untill it caused my box to run out of memory.  Using Sid here.  I did
get it to work buy getting the cvs and make, make install.

P. S.  Sorry Alex for sending this first to you directly, my mistake.
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com