aptitude: packages have been kept back?

I'm a long time apt-get user, trying to make sense of aptitude.

I really like aptitude's automatic dependancy tracking; but it keeps "keeping packages back" whenever I run "aptitude dist-upgrade". "apt-get dist-upgrade" doesn't keep packages back.

Examining these "kept back" packages in aptitude, they are marked "id", which I gather means "installed" and "will be deleted". I can think of no reason why these packages should be "kept back" or "deleted", nor have I been able to find such a reason using aptitude.

Can someone please explain why some packages might be "kept back", or how I might find out?

Thanks oodles!

Jack