Accented characters

I have two debian boxes and unable to get accented characters to work.  I am
attempting to do this via:

xmodmap -e "keycode 117 =  Multi_key"

On machine one it works perfectly.  I can multi-key my accented characters to
my hearts content.

On machine two it goes into multi_key mode, in that I can type the sequcen,
but no character is displayed.

However, if I ssh from machine two to machine one and type a multi_key
sequence then it shows the accented characters.

I've tried a few different things.  I've searched google, I've diff'ed the
list of packages installed on the two machines.  But I'm still not seeing what
the significant difference is.

Anyone have ideas?

rw2