Re: Debian java howto for sarge?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Wim De Smet wrote:

Wim,

I needed to install latest SUN on Debian Sarge machine in one of our lab
and I did some research on the topic. Below is quick summary of what I
found.

1) Installing Java in Woody 2R.

http://www.debian.org.hk/en/node/view/1833 This site describes a method of
installing java by creating java deb packages from sun linux tgz file.
The method should work on Woody, Testing and unstable version of
Debian/GNU Linux. Please note if you have kaffe installed, you need to
uninstall it first. Then, install java as instructed.

Kaffe has higher degree of preference in "update-alternatives system". If
you leave kaffe, it will stay as preferred java on your machine. You can
change java preference manually using "update-alternative" command.

2) This is how java is installed in Open Source Lab.
 http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/DEV/Java+on+Debian

Hope it helps.

If you find a better way, please let me know.

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:34:57 +0200, Christian Leimer
> <christian_leimer@web.de> wrote:
> > The debian java howto is very old. Is there one for sarge in wotk?
> >
> > I try to setup an IBM-Java2-ppc-142(which is only avaiable as tar.gz or rpm
> > file) SDK kit for my old powerpc.I installed it to /opt/IBM-Java2-ppc-142/
> > So how do I setup it correct, that other packages which need java2 do not
> > install kaffe or something else.
>
> I followed: http://serios.net/content/debian/java.php
>
> Though that one is probably written for the sun howto. There used to
> be debian packages available from blackdown.org, but they kinda
> stopped updating them. If you have an rpm you can try running the
> "alien" program on it, though you'll probably have to symlink the java
> executables yourself. (or kid around abit with update-alternatives)
j2>
> > And how do I get .jar files to work by doubleklickind under kde 3.2.3?
> > Are there maybe some security problems?
>
> There's probably some sort of configuration dialog in KDE to establish
> a relationship between filetypes and programs. Find it and add jar to
> it. The command to be executed should probably be "java -jar"
>
> greets,
> Wim

Ivan Teliatnikov

phone: +61 2 9351 2031
fax: +61 2 9351 0184
mobile_phone: +61 402 173 179
email: ivan@es.usyd.edu.au

School of Geosciences
F05 - Edgeworth David Building
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

IMPORTANT NOTICES
This email (including any documents referred to in, or attached, to this
email) may contain information that is personal, confidential or the
subject of copyright or other proprietary rights in favour of the
University of Sydney, its affiliates or third parties. This email is
intended only for the named addressee. Any privacy, confidence,
copyright or other proprietary rights in favour of University of Sydney,
its affiliates or third parties, is not lost because this email was sent
to you by mistake.

If you received this email by mistake you should: (i) not copy,
disclose, distribute or otherwise use it, or its contents, without the
consent of University of Sydney or the owner of the relevant rights;
(ii) let us know of the mistake by reply email or by telephone (+61 2
9351 2031); and (iii) delete it from your system and destroy all copies.

Any personal information contained in this email must be handled in
accordance with applicable privacy laws.

Electronic and INTERNET communications can be interfered with or
affected by viruses and other defects. As a result, such communications
may not be successfully received or, if received, may cause interference
with the integrity of receiving, processing or related systems
(including hardware, software and data or information on, or using, that
hardware or software).  University of Sydney gives no assurances in
relation to these matters.

If you have any doubts about the veracity or integrity of any electronic
communication we appear to have sent you, please call +61 2 9351 2031
for clarification.