Re: Debian java howto for sarge?

> From: Wim De Smet <kromagg@gmail.com>
> Date: Today 02:14:17

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:34:57 +0200, Christian Leimer
>> <christian_leimer@web.de> wrote:
>> The debian java howto is very old. Is there one for sarge in wotk?
>>
>>I try to setup an IBM-Java2-ppc-142(which is only avaiable as tar.gz
>> or rpm
>> file) SDK kit for my old powerpc.I installed it
>>to /opt/IBM-Java2-ppc-142/
>> So how do I setup it correct, that other packages which need java2
>>do not
>> install kaffe or something else.

> I followed: http://serios.net/content/debian/java.php

> Though that one is probably written for the sun howto. There used to
> be debian packages available from blackdown.org, but they kinda
> stopped updating them. If you have an rpm you can try running the
> "alien" program on it, though you'll probably have to symlink the
>java
> executables yourself. (or kid around abit with update-alternatives)

>> And how do I get .jar files to work by doubleklickind under kde
>>3.2.3?
>> Are there maybe some security problems?

>There's probably some sort of configuration dialog in KDE to
>establish
>a relationship between filetypes and programs. Find it and add jar to
>it. The command to be executed should probably be "java -jar"

>greets,
>Wim

Another good site to check out installing java would be this one;
http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/DEV/Java+on+Debian
I used this guide on Sarge, even though it tells you to dist upgrade,
which some people might do, and end up with unstable. They make a
good point in remembering to use the documents, and dummy packages,
might be worth a check out.

As far as helping under KDE, if you make an icon you can choose the
application associated with that file. So every time you open the
file it will use that application.  Check the control center see if
you can set it globally, if not then set it per application.

Rthoreau