Re: Debian java howto for sarge?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:34:57 +0200, Christian Leimer
<christian_leimer@web.de> wrote:
> The debian java howto is very old. Is there one for sarge in wotk?
>
> I try to setup an IBM-Java2-ppc-142(which is only avaiable as tar.gz or rpm
> file) SDK kit for my old powerpc.I installed it to /opt/IBM-Java2-ppc-142/
> So how do I setup it correct, that other packages which need java2 do not
> install kaffe or something else.

I followed: http://serios.net/content/debian/java.php

Though that one is probably written for the sun howto. There used to
be debian packages available from blackdown.org, but they kinda
stopped updating them. If you have an rpm you can try running the
"alien" program on it, though you'll probably have to symlink the java
executables yourself. (or kid around abit with update-alternatives)

> And how do I get .jar files to work by doubleklickind under kde 3.2.3?
> Are there maybe some security problems?

There's probably some sort of configuration dialog in KDE to establish
a relationship between filetypes and programs. Find it and add jar to
it. The command to be executed should probably be "java -jar"

greets,
Wim