Re: Idea

Clive Menzies a écrit le 28/09/04 12:40 :
On (28/09/04 12:02), remy harel wrote:

 Hi folks,

[...]

I was on many debian mailing lists, and I recently
left these lists, for 2 main reasons. First, I got
more than 100 mails a day, it's a bit too much
according to me ! And the second... how to say.. In
fact, two many questions were very simple, like how to
use apt-get etc...So I left all lists excepts a few
ones, not so verbose, but I would appreciate to help
people who have    questions more interesteding. I
recently spoke with a friend, who is a old debian user
too, and, he thought the same.

So, why not create for exemple, debian-user-beginner,
debian-user-average and debian-user-expert ? I think

How does a beginner decide whether the question he's going to ask is of newbie or expert level ? If he posts in the beginner's list just because he is a beginner, he might never get a reply to a difficult question or problem because the experts do not read that list.

you should ask the question but perhaps a lot of
debian users would appreciate it. And if users want to
receive all questions, nothing more simple than
suscribe to the 3 users lists.

[...]

The case against what you suggest is that there would be little
incentive for more experienced users/gurus to lurk on a beginners
list.  Debian-user may be high maintenance but if you use a good mail
client (such as mutt) it is fairly easy to ignore/delete threads of no
interest.  It is a forum where merely by reading the threads
that I'm interested in, I learn so much.

Moreover, those who do not want to receive all the messages in their mail box can still browse the list as a usenet newsgroup and just download the messages they want.

I hate mailing lists (look at those "unsubscribe" messages polluting the list or those automatic responses telling you the recipient is on hollyday) but I read this one on linux.debian.user from my ISP's news server (it also exists, maybe with a different name, on news.gmane.org).

To break it into three lists will tend to fragment the community and I
suspect beginners or relative novices wouldn't recveive the same quality
of advice and guidance and debian adoption would suffer as a result.

[...]

I agree with Clive.

I must also add that the newsgroups I learned the most from were the ones varied enough to both answer my simple questions and address higher subjects that make me want to search for more.

Finally, as a school teacher, I can tell that the simplest questions are oftened the most challenging.

--
Eddy
         "La notion de passoire est indépendante de la notion de trou."