Re: [solved] Re: mounting iPod with USB

on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:50:58PM -0700, Stefan O'Rear insinuated:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:37:46PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> >
> > now i'm having a totally different problem, actually: after
> > figuring out how to mount it, i put about 500 songs on it, and
> > then disconnected and reconnected it a bunch for various reasons.
> If you don't unmount the filesystem before unplugging the device,
> the kernel will get mad at you, and you'll probably need to
> fsck.hfsplus it.
>
> > now, it won't mount read-write -- just read-only.  when i try to
> > mount it via the line in my /etc/fstab (which is
> >
> > /dev/sda      /mnt/ipod     hfsplus rw,user,noauto,noatime  0 0
> >
> > ), /var/log/syslog gives the error:
> >
> > Sep 27 16:12:48 homeruns kernel: HFS+-fs warning: Filesystem was
> > not cleanly unmounted, running fsck.hfsplus is recommended.
> > mounting read-only.
>
> That means either your system crashed while it was mounted, or it
> was unplugged w/o unmounting. Running fsck.hfsplus is recommended by
> me as well.
>
> > any insight how to get around this, to make my iPod read-write
> > again?
> fsck it

i can't -- i should have noted that i don't have fsck.hfsplus, and
it's not in the hfsplus debian package.

but it's moot now -- while fscking would seem to make sense, i posted
something similar to debian-powerpc, since i found a similar thread on
that list from a few months ago, with an identical problem, saying
that after 32 mounts, the HFS device would refuse to mount read-write.
a couple people from that list wrote back saying that HFS / HFS+
support under linux was sketchy at best now, and my best bet was to
convert it to vfat and use it as a so-called "Windows iPod."  so i
did, and now i'm mounting it happily as vfat.  yay!

thanks, though!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++