Sarge/DAC960/pivot_root

Using the 9/17/2004 netinstall.iso from the Debian-DI page.
I have a DAC6 960 card + drives configured as a raid 5 disk. Debian
formats and installs the base system okay. The installer offers to
install grub in the mbr, /dev/rd/c0d0, the reboot results in a kernel
panic with the following message.

"pivot_root:no such file or Directory.
/sbin/init:426 cannot open /dev/console
kernel panic...."

I read the man page for pivot_root and it seems that switching the root
device from the ramdisk? to the hard drive fails. This prevents the
second stage of the installation so I am wondering what work around I
might use to get Debian on my box.

TIA

--
Gregory C. Madden