Re: Moving existing setup to a competely new server

--- Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> cp -a
> tar
>
> Sounds like you should copy the complete system. You can by the way
> export and import the list of installed packages using dpkg:
>
> dpkg --get-selections > packagelist
> dpkg --set-selections < packagelist

Yes, ideally I would copy the whole HD from the old server to the new server.
However, if do this the new system probably will not boot, with the hardware
being completely different.

dpkg is definitely something that could help me to install all the packaged I
have. But then I'd have to apply etc/config files, var/lib files, users and so
forth ... could be quite a bit of work and possibility that I may forget
something.

I'm looking for a way to avoid dealing with config/status/log/etc files on
one-by-one basis, if possible.

Thanks in advance