Re: weird constant hissing sound coming from one speaker

Apparently, _Raghavendra Bhat_, on 09/24/04 11:29,typed:
H. S.
The first  thing you have  to do  is to get  the chassis of  the machine
earthed properly,  either via your power plug  or 'crocodile-clipping' a
good  earth-wire  to  the chassis.   Later  you  can  screw on  a  pucca

It is grounded via the power plug. I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with that.

Isolate  the speaker-out  wire from  the  sound-card alone,  see if  the
/hiss/ exists. If not go on connecting your peripheral cables and listen
till it appears again.

If I disconnect the speaker from the sound card, the hiss goes away. Reconnecting it back makes the hiss come back.

There are  big ferrite beads available.   Get a couple  of beads through
which  you can  pass the  speaker cable.   You need  not cut  the formed
speaker wire/cable, just  loop-string it at the sound-card  pin end.  If
the hiss has stopped, good.

I am not sure this will work since if I boot in Windows the speakers work perfectly well. It is only if I boot into Debian that the hiss comes back during the boot process someplace (which as I mentioned is around when lp0 starts).

Note that the hiss just not some background white noise. It is very pronounced. It gets attenuated when some sound plays (e.g. when I do a sound test in KDE). Otherwise it is like an FM radio, but coming only from my left speaker. Right speaker is perfectly okay as it was before.

guess this  is a difficult one and  I haven't been able  to give more
Isolating the problem is a PITA but fixing it once isolated, is easy. ;)

Well, it is at least asking me to give you more information which may exclude some possibilities and thus help narrow down the cause pf the problem.

Ragu	      VU2RGU
Free software is an attempt to use the 18th century principles for the
encouragement of the diffusion of knowledge to transform the technical
environment of human beings -- Eben Moglen