Re: weird constant hissing sound coming from one speaker

Apparently, _Raghavendra Bhat_, on 09/24/04 11:29,typed:
H. S.
The first  thing you have  to do  is to get  the chassis of  the machine
earthed properly,  either via your power plug  or 'crocodile-clipping' a
good  earth-wire  to  the chassis.   Later  you  can  screw on  a  pucca
earth-wire.

It is grounded via the power plug. I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with that.

Isolate  the speaker-out  wire from  the  sound-card alone,  see if  the
/hiss/ exists. If not go on connecting your peripheral cables and listen
till it appears again.

If I disconnect the speaker from the sound card, the hiss goes away. Reconnecting it back makes the hiss come back.

There are  big ferrite beads available.   Get a couple  of beads through
which  you can  pass the  speaker cable.   You need  not cut  the formed
speaker wire/cable, just  loop-string it at the sound-card  pin end.  If
the hiss has stopped, good.

I am not sure this will work since if I boot in Windows the speakers work perfectly well. It is only if I boot into Debian that the hiss comes back during the boot process someplace (which as I mentioned is around when lp0 starts).

Note that the hiss just not some background white noise. It is very pronounced. It gets attenuated when some sound plays (e.g. when I do a sound test in KDE). Otherwise it is like an FM radio, but coming only from my left speaker. Right speaker is perfectly okay as it was before.

guess this  is a difficult one and  I haven't been able  to give more
info
Isolating the problem is a PITA but fixing it once isolated, is easy. ;)

Hth.

Well, it is at least asking me to give you more information which may exclude some possibilities and thus help narrow down the cause pf the problem.

thanks,
->HS

--
Ragu	      VU2RGU
Free software is an attempt to use the 18th century principles for the