apt problem - ldconfig segmentation fault

I tried installing nmap a couple of days ago and ran into a bit of a problem. ldconfig seems to have died with a segmentation fault. In the past when I have had problems with apt they have resolved themselves in a couple of days when a working version of a package appears but this problem isn't fixing it self. I have had a good google for it but I can't find anything particularly relevant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running testing with the 2.6.7 kernel on i386 (slightly off topic question but I am sure I saw 2.6.8 appear and then disappear from testing and I can't find kernel-image-2.6-386 in testing any more has it been removed for some reason?)

graham

root@foo:~# apt-get -u install nmap
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  nmap
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 98 not upgraded.
6 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/542kB of archives.
After unpacking 1733kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package nmap.
(Reading database ... 121034 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nmap (from .../archives/nmap_3.70-1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libapr0 (2.0.51-2) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapr0.postinst: line 13: 2968 Segmentation fault ldconfig
dpkg: error processing libapr0 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache2-common:
 apache2-common depends on libapr0 (>= 2.0.51); however:
  Package libapr0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apache2-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache2-mpm-prefork:
 apache2-mpm-prefork depends on libapr0 (>= 2.0.51); however:
  Package libapr0 is not configured yet.
 apache2-mpm-prefork depends on apache2-common (= 2.0.51-2); however:
  Package apache2-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apache2-mpm-prefork (--configure):
Setting up libgail17 (1.6.6b-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgail17.postinst: line 6: 2970 Segmentation fault ldconfig
dpkg: error processing libgail17 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgail-common:
 libgail-common depends on libgail17 (>= 1.6.6); however:
  Package libgail17 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgail-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-media:
 gnome-media depends on libgail-common (>= 1.4.1); however:
  Package libgail-common is not configured yet.
 gnome-media depends on libgail17 (>= 1.4.1); however:
  Package libgail17 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-media (--configure):
Setting up nmap (3.70-1) ...

 libapr0
 apache2-common
 apache2-mpm-prefork