Re: A couple issues with Sarge; requesting assistance.

Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:43:01PM -0400, Adam Aube wrote:
>
>> You probably forgot either CONFIG_FILTER or CONFIG_SOCKET.
>
> I have CONFIG_FILTER set. I don't see a CONFIG_SOCKET anywhere... Where
> does it live, and where might I find it in "make xconfig"?

CONFIG_SOCKET may have been removed in newer versions of the kernel - I
can't find it, either (2.4.27 source).

You could do a diff between your config and the Debian kernel config (which
supports DHCP) and see what differences there are. If you go to Help for a
given configuration option in "make (menu|x)config", it will show the
"CONFIG_" name for it.

>> > 5. With a default Debian 2.4.26-1-i386 kernel, I get an error message
>> > about some module or other having a problem.
>>
>> This usually winds up in /var/log/dmesg.
>
> It's unfortunately not there. Are there any other possibilities?

You could try a boot to single user mode, then use Ctrl-PageUp to scroll up
the console window after you have a shell to see if you can find the
message.

Adam