Re: Why won't XMMS play .au files?

On Wednesday September 22 at 11:07am
Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:

> The xmms package description mentions MikMod in connection with .au
> files and recommends the package libmikmod2.  This might be all that's
> needed here.

Failing that, there is a package available:
jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache show xmms-audiofile
Package: xmms-audiofile
<snip>
 This plug-in for XMMS allows users to play any file which the Audio
 File Library can read.  Common formats such as AIFF, AIFF-C, WAVE, and
 NeXT/Sun .snd/.au are supported

But it's not available in the standard Debian repository.

jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache policy xmms-audiofile
xmms-audiofile:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.1-1
  Version Table:
     0.1-1 0
        500 http://www.rarewares.org ./ Packages

So you will need to add this to your sources.list:

jkoenig@note:~$ grep rarewares /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/xmixahlx/debian/ ./
<note> I don't know what that is commented out. It might be that
rarewares moved servers and I just commented it out and added the
following line rather that removing it </note>
deb http://www.rarewares.org/debian/packages/unstable ./
-
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Project 86 - Rebuttal : Safety First
Today is Setting Orange, the 46th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3170
My public pgp key: http://mental-graffiti.com/pgp/