Re: I have no /usr/src/linux/ sources

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:10:46 -0700, Stefan O'Rear <stefanor@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 06:03:01AM -0700, Eric Dickner wrote:
> > I am trying to compile some <foo>.src.rpm files.  When
> > I try to do this they look for headers under the
> > /usr/src/linux link. I installed linux from CD's
> > originally and they didn't put anything there...I
> > don't even have that link.
> >
> > I downloaded a source kernel from kernel.org and many
> > of the instructions I found told me to put the source
> > there...BUT the readme from kernel.org specifically
> > told me NOT to put it there.  They said something
> > about how the source from the "kernel du jour" was not
> > what was supposed to be there.  Of course, I threw out
> > all those instructions on recompiling kernels and
> > followed the readme from those folks.
> >
> > As a result I still have nothing there except the RPM
> > directories.  Any effort to"make" the .rps results in
> > them looking for these headers.
> >
> > What am I missing here, besides these .h files?
>
> Nothing.
>
> How to cope:
>
> # mkdir /usr/src/linux
> # mkdir /usr/src/linux/include

This is only looking for trouble. You should not mess with files
managed by your package manager (dpkg). As a user you are only free to
create/copy files on your home or in /usr/local, any other location
should not be touched (if you use a lot of caution you can do it, but
i can assure you it's a very bad idea =). If you need some kernel
header files you'll probably find them installing kernel-headers
packages.

And manuals and documentation in general have their priority: follow
first the Debian if present, then the program documentation and last
the Howto. If something is in contrast with Debian documentation,
follow the Debian Way (TM)...

Andrea