I have no /usr/src/linux/ sources

I am trying to compile some <foo>.src.rpm files.  When
I try to do this they look for headers under the
/usr/src/linux link. I installed linux from CD's
originally and they didn't put anything there...I
don't even have that link.

I downloaded a source kernel from kernel.org and many
of the instructions I found told me to put the source
there...BUT the readme from kernel.org specifically
told me NOT to put it there.  They said something
about how the source from the "kernel du jour" was not
what was supposed to be there.  Of course, I threw out
all those instructions on recompiling kernels and
followed the readme from those folks.

As a result I still have nothing there except the RPM
directories.  Any effort to"make" the .rps results in
them looking for these headers.

What am I missing here, besides these .h files?