Occasional kernel panic...

We routinely build ISO's and occasionally one fails to boot (with a kernel panic). I've attached a screenshot of the kernel panic.

The ISO's are all built using script files and they are always built the same way. They may include new packages but the boot image is built the same way each time (using mkbimage).

The boot image appears to contain all the appropriate files. The only observable differences occur in the initrd.img and in boot/grub/stage2.

I've loop mounted both good and bad initrds and they appear to be good, though the executables do report differences (I assume these are date stamps and such).

The grub/stage2 files are the same size but have differences (or so diff says). These differences are similar (a 9 or 10 byte difference) whether we diff between good images or a good and a bad image.

How would one diagnose this? How would one automatically detect this? Any assistance would be appreciated?

DISCLAIMER: This email is bound by the terms and conditions described at
http://www.key.net/disclaimer.htm
smc-ultra.c: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 2048K size 1024 blocksize
Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 5.2.20-k1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Intel Corporation.
pcnet32.c:v1.27a 10.02.2002 tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
ns83820.c: National Semiconductor DP83820 10/100/1000 driver.
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
hdb: Generic 1234, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Freeing initrd memory: 1076k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 116k freed
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=2050, limit=2048
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=2050, limit=2048
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.