can't get WEP working

I have an ancient Orinoco PCMCIA wireless card and an ancient
Addtron AP. Both support 104/128 bit encryption. Both work happily
together without encryption. What I want to do is turn on WEP
(mainly to rudimentarily protect against wardrivers), but I am not
succeeding.

Since I use PCMCIA, I added the following stanza to
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts:

zurich,*,*,*)
  INFO="Zurich home"
  ESSID="ZURICH"
  KEY="s:abcdefgehi"
  ;;

This works in that `iwconfig` shows the device to be properly
configured after plugging in:

eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"ZURICH"  Nickname:"fishbowl"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462GHz  Access Point: 00:90:D1:00:CD:D9
          Bit Rate=11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=62/92  Signal level=-35 dBm  Noise level=-97 dBm

As you can see, it found the access point and negotiated the 11 Mbps
link (yes, this is 802.11b). If I do not set the key in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, the access point is not found. That's
a good sign.

However, I can't communicate accross the link. DHCP does not work,
and even after bringing up the interface manually, I can't get out.
The card happily flashes for transmitted packets, but the AP never
does, and the packets also don't make it into the AP's subnet.

I'm at a loss. Maybe you know something I don't, or maybe
I overlooked something?

Thanks for any help.

`. `'`