Re: How to fix sound?

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 09:47, shrevie@ntnation.com wrote:
> I upgraded to KDE 3.3 recently and now the sound on my Thinkpad X31 no
> longer works... I get a /dev/dsp can't be opened error on most of the
> sound utilities, and looking at the Sound entry in InfoCenter in KDE, it

Most of the sound utilities?  Which ones don't?  What do they say?  What
happens when you launch the aRts control tool?  Does it ever show output?

> notes that:

> Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-98076 (ALSA v1.02 emulation code)
>
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed Drivers:
> Type 10: ALSA emulation
>
> Card Config:
> Intel 82801DB-1CH4 at 0x0000c00, irq 11
>
> Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Synth devices: NOT ENABLED in CONFIG
>
> Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Timers:
> 7: system timer
>
> Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

> Clearly something is wrong in some config file... but I have no clue as
> to how to fix this or where to look and Googling gives me hints that the
> problem has happened to other people but no clues on how to fix it or
> really where to start looking.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer or direction as to where to look?
>
> Thanks!

You're sure your mixer settings are OK?  Make sure your output channels
aren't muted.

Try playing sounds from the command line.  What error messages do you get?
If /dev/dsp is locked, use fuser or lsof to see who's got it locked.  If
aRts does, what happens when you play sounds with artsdsp?

Justin Guerin