Re: Re: Partitioning a second hard disk

On Mon, Sep 13 2004 at 03:08:54PM +1000, Scott Barlow wrote:
> Thank you Andrew for your quick response. I have allowed enough for each
> partition. If anything I will be wasting space which is ok for the
> moment as i'm just experimenting. My computer consists of a 40gb drive
> which has the install on it and a blank 80gb drive. My /boot is around
> 100mb, my /, /var, /tmp is around 1Gb, my /usr is 10Gb, /swap is 1gb and
> /home is 25gb. This is all freshly configured. I don't know what to do
> with the second drive such as how to partition it to enable a lot of
> space for files, movies, music etc and which mount point to give it. I
> do want to do it properly however and am after any tips from the gurus.
> My /swap space is physically in the middle of the 7 partitions. Do i
> need /swap space on the 2nd hard disk or is that not possible?

Several times you have referred to /swap which is incorrect. You do not
mount a swap partition, but it is instead just a partition of type linux
swap which the kernel takes care of. You may know this, but in case...
There will usually be a line for your swap partition(s) in /etc/fstab,
but it should not be mounted as /swap.

One gb is probably quite a bit more swap space than you need, but if you
have 512mb of ram then its probably okay.

Thomas Stivers	e-mail: stivers_t@tomass.dyndns.org