Re: ZOOM X4 adsl modem , Apache behind home gateway

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 12:25:28PM -0600, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 07:51:15PM +0300, Hasan wrote:
> > Hello ,
> > I want to use apache server , it works at localhost perfect . Bu i have
> > the adsl modem zoom x4 . When i click my ip at the browser Home Gateway
> > popup appears and ask password. I tried to do Virtual Host section .
> > When I set port 80 to my ip , it reset the modem and my ip chages ! How
> > can i do this ? I googled and ask in freenode irc but cant find .
>
> If I understand your situation and question correctly, you want to set
> up your Apache web server for access from outside your local network.
> As far as I know, and this is based on my experience of a network behind
> an ADSL modem and a router (there are several machines connected via
> the router to the modem), you need a little more.

I have a Zoom X3...

> You must direct port 80 traffic to the host running Apache.  It appears
> that you've tried to do this, but every time the modem is reset, you
> get a new IP number.  This happens because your ISP is assigning you a
> dynamically assigned IP number (via DHCP).  You could ask for a static
> IP number, but that usually costs more (it does from my ISP).
>
> The way around this is to use a service which associates a name with
> your current IP number.  That way, people wanting to connect to your
> web server, need only remember an unchaning name.
>
> There are free services on the 'net which will let you associate a name
> of your choice with your current IP.  For example, you might choose the
> name 'maria' for your PC.  At 'www.dyndns.org' (the provider that I use)
> you would register that name and associate it with a domain (they have
> several from which to choose - I use 'dyndns.org' as the domain name).
> Thus, your host might have the name 'maria.dyndns.org'.  If every time
> you reset your modem, you also redid the name to IP association (and
> there are free scripts which will assist you to do this), then users
> could always reach your host.

The canonical way to do this is with the ddclient package.

> Using this procedure may help you solve your problem.  It certainly did
> for me.

What this will do is provide a consistent name by which outside users
can find your website. It's not the full story on setting up the Zoom.

The Zoom will assign your network card an IP via DHCP. (Not to be
confused with your ISP assigning you an IP by DHCP!) You will see
entries similar to this in /var/log/syslog:

Sep 12 00:16:38 stunted dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 10.0.0.2 port 67
Sep 12 00:16:38 stunted dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPACK from 10.0.0.2
Sep 12 00:16:39 stunted dhclient-2.2.x: bound to 10.0.0.10 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

In this case 10.0.0.10 is the IP assigned via DHCP. I'm assuming you
only have one box. 10.0.0.10 is the IP that you need to set the Zoom's
"Virtual Server" to point to.

This IP may change when you reboot the Zoom. To prevent this go into
"LAN Configuration" and select "User Defined" addresses for the DHCP
server, then set the "User Defined Start Address" and "...End Address"
to the same address - 10.0.0.10 in this example.

That should ensure that your "Virtual Server" settings always point at
the correct IP.

You may also need to deal with some bugs in the modem's firmware. In
my case I found that the settings to block external access to the
Zoom's FTP and HTTP servers didn't do anything (I've reassigned the
Zoom's HTTP server to a different port from the standard 80) and a few
other random ports were open for no apparent reason. The workaround is
to create additional "Virtual Server" entries for the offending ports
to forward them to the Linux box, and make sure the Linux box has
those ports closed.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons