Re: ZOOM X4 adsl modem , Apache behind home gateway

Hasan:

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 10:11:15PM +0300, Hasan wrote:
> Dean Allen Provins wrote:
>
> >Hasan:
> >
> >On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 07:51:15PM +0300, Hasan wrote:
> >

> >>Hello ,
> >>I want to use apache server , it works at localhost perfect . Bu i have
> >>the adsl modem zoom x4 . When i click my ip at the browser Home Gateway
> >>popup appears and ask password. I tried to do Virtual Host section .
> >>When I set port 80 to my ip , it reset the modem and my ip chages ! How
> >>can i do this ? I googled and ask in freenode irc but cant find .
> >>

> >If I understand your situation and question correctly, you want to set
> >up your Apache web server for access from outside your local network.
> >As far as I know, and this is based on my experience of a network behind
> >an ADSL modem and a router (there are several machines connected via
> >the router to the modem), you need a little more.
> >
> >You must direct port 80 traffic to the host running Apache.  It appears
> >that you've tried to do this, but every time the modem is reset, you
> >get a new IP number.  This happens because your ISP is assigning you a
> >dynamically assigned IP number (via DHCP).  You could ask for a static
> >IP number, but that usually costs more (it does from my ISP).
> >
> >The way around this is to use a service which associates a name with
> >your current IP number.  That way, people wanting to connect to your
> >web server, need only remember an unchaning name.
> >
> >There are free services on the 'net which will let you associate a name
> >of your choice with your current IP.  For example, you might choose the
> >name 'maria' for your PC.  At 'www.dyndns.org' (the provider that I use)
> >you would register that name and associate it with a domain (they have
> >several from which to choose - I use 'dyndns.org' as the domain name).
> >Thus, your host might have the name 'maria.dyndns.org'.  If every time
> >you reset your modem, you also redid the name to IP association (and
> >there are free scripts which will assist you to do this), then users
> >could always reach your host.
> >
> >Using this procedure may help you solve your problem.  It certainly did
> >for me.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Dean
> >

> Thank you for the reply .  And i think there is no chance to do this
> without static ip right ? I'll ask it to my ISP .

The fixed name (as per my example above), should fix you up PROVIDING
you tell 'dyndns.org' the IP address for that name every time it
changes.  'dyndns.org' has scripts available (for free) to assist with
this, or you can do it manually every time you reset your modem.  The
static IP is the simplest, but but also most costly.  'dyndns.org' charges
nothing.

Dean