Re: Kill does not stop process

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:50:32 -0400, Steven Feinstein
<stevefeinstein@netscape.net> wrote:
> I was running k3b and it looked like it wasn't doing anything while writing
> (but the CD drive was still flashing).  After a while I decided it was not
> working and stopped the CD writing.  K3b came back with a message about
> timing out.  But the CD light kept flashing.  SO I figured there was a
> process still running.
>
> I found 2 processes using cdrecord.  I tried to kill them using kill as user
> and nothing happended.  So I logged in as root and tried and still they
> would not die.  I then tried using kill -9 on the processes and they still
> would not die.  I ended up rebooting.
>
> Is this a kernel bug because I thought kill -9 (as root) would kill
> anything?
>
> Is there something else I could have tried?

  You could have tried waiting it out to see if the CD writer ever
finished what it was doing.  I had a similar experience with a tape
drive.  I had to wait for the drive to finish its thing (which took a
long time) before the process in question would die.

  Geordie.