Re: overriding files in nfs mount

On Friday 10 September 2004 03:52, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I have a difficult problem of setting up and maintaining mostly
> identical linux installations on several machines which are sitting on
> a local switch which is also the gateway to the outside world.
>
> The problem is that they are not the same hardware, there needs to be a
> server (although it should still have mostly the same setup), a password
> sever (maybe possible to just use regular passwords here if its not too
> insecure), a computer that is connected to the printer/scanner (which is
> a different computer) and possibly a web server (not sure if it will be
> connected).
>
> The easiest solution, if it is possible, is to mount root through nfs,
> and then mount home from the local disk (this sounds easy enough), the
> problem is that due to the slightly different hardware (X setup), and
> different servers (printer/password/job que/...) I need to override
> some files in etc.
>
> It sounds like I can play around with links from the nfs mounted etc to
> a local mounted etc, but it sounds like a real pain, and it allows me
> to override only all or none of the files (possible bypassable with
> multiple redirection).
>
> Bottom line, is it possible to mount /etc through nfs and the override
> some of the files with local ones without resorting to playing around
> with links?

I don't think I understand your setup, or the reasons for it, but I can
still make some (hopefully) useful comments.

I don't believe it's possible to mount /etc/ through nfs and override some
of the _files_ with local ones.  You can override some of the directories
by mounting something else after the original mount (at least, I think you
can), but there's no way to override files.

If /etc/ has to be unique to each computer, why are you nfs mounting it at
all?  Why not just nfs mount /usr, /home, ... and leave /etc as local?

Justin Guerin