Re: overriding files in nfs mount

X-reply-to-bofh-messageid <2CVP7-2T7-21@gated-at.bofh.it>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:41:46 +1000

Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> said on Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:45:51 -0600:
> On Friday 10 September 2004 03:52, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > Bottom line, is it possible to mount /etc through nfs and the override
> > some of the files with local ones without resorting to playing around
> > with links?
>
> I don't think I understand your setup, or the reasons for it, but I can
> still make some (hopefully) useful comments.
>
> I don't believe it's possible to mount /etc/ through nfs and override some
> of the _files_ with local ones.  You can override some of the directories
> by mounting something else after the original mount (at least, I think you
> can), but there's no way to override files.
>
> If /etc/ has to be unique to each computer, why are you nfs mounting it at
> all?  Why not just nfs mount /usr, /home, ... and leave /etc as local?

Reasons I want to do this myself:

1) diskless clients.

2) Making sure that any apt-get upgrades don't just upgrade files in
/etc on one machine - want at least the common files to be upgraded on
all machines (naturally, the locally changed files will have to be
specially treated, but that is a managable task).

There is some work going on to incorporate things like BSD's union
filesystem in linux, but I don't think this kind of thing will be an
option for either me or the OP in any time soon.

That kind of thing would also be really useful for making changes to
readonly media like CDRoms -- just keep the local changes stored on
disk.

This kind of lacking feature is almost enough to make me experiment
with BSD :) (Unfortunately, I don't know whether I am up to the whole
new learning curve, but Linux has been pissing me off lately).

size doesn't matter, resolution matters:
Hmm, I might be able to use that one tonight. -- someone on /.