Re: dead X install

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 11:37, Stefan O'Rear wrote:

All attached files seem completely normal,

I do notice that there is no sign in the XFree86 log file of the driver being loaded. My other box (radeon) has significantly more output (probably 80% more)

also i just found that xserver-svga isnt installed ??? and apt-get install xserver-svga will not install it.

except for /var/log/messages,
which shows that you didn't properly shut down the system. (This can be
hard when the system is frozen :)
yup

How are you starting X?

1. It starts automatically on bootup
2. Log in & startx
3. X

log in and startx (running gdm has the same effect)

If (3), did you get a black screen or a finely-textured gray screen?

Try hitting Ctl-Alt-BackSpace. (Yes, Backspace _NOT_ Delete.)

You can try:

X :0 &
# hit Ctrl-Alt-F1
xterm -display :0 &
# hit Ctrl-Alt-F7
all input is ignored. this was the first thing i tried

Oh, and try disabling DPMS.

DPMS allows for monitor powersaving, but it crashes the Xserver for some
reason on my system...

--
                   \|||/
                  ( / \ )