Re: Executing script on X login

Wim De Smet wrote:
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:18:46 -0700 (PDT), Matt Perry
<matt@primefactor.com> wrote:

Is there a file where I can put programs to be run when I log into X via
XDM? I tried .Xsession but that just dumps me back out to XDM.

That's logical. The .xsession is run as a script. So it starts all
programs and if none of these tie it up the script ends and so does
your xsession.

What I want is for several programs to be run when I log in such as xterm
and xmodmap. I *don't* want to start a window manager from this.  I want
to use the window manager and whatever startup that's provided by the
system. That way if the sysadmin changes them I'll see the changes.

I think you can use the generic 'x-window-manager' which will point to
the selected default. So you could end your .xsession with either
'exec x-window-manager' (though the exec is probably not necessary).

it would be nice if it really worked, unfortunately it does not, because alternatives system is, well, not keeping promises or something.

problem 1 (that's just something to be careful about): if you just have the default x-window-manager it can be replaced during update and when you restart WM the X session will crash/end.

problem 2 (IMO serious alternative issue): even if you set up the x-window-manager to whatever you want manually and alternatives promises to not touch it (see the docs) it actually does change it (it switches the x-window-manager to another WM), I am not sure why because I always found out about it too late. You restart your WM and the X session is gone.

I filed the bug, there was a discussion on mailing list (iirc debian-devel) etc. no result (other than nothing:-). not sure if the problem still persists (I am not using x-window-manager anymore).

	erik