Re: cheap network card supported by linux

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:19:00PM +0200, siward wrote:
> i found out that cheapest network card for sale here
>   (at Vobis Utrecht) is supported by linux,
>   though it is not yet in ethernet howto.

Most cards work fine these days. The thing is to avoid the really crappy
ones. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests to avoid the rt8139 chipset
based cards, which most of the really cheap ones unfortunately are.

> driver for it is 'tulip' module ;

Ah, yes. tulip is a good driver.

> it cost me 9 euro ;

Seems like a good deal for a tulip based card.

> cheapest available card listed in ethernet howto, 3c905, costs 29 euro

I had the same problem a year ago. I needed a couple of network cards. I
didn't want the rt8139 or similar crappy ones nor did I want to pay for the
3c905 or Intel e100. I found this page quite informative:

http://www.fefe.de/linuxeth/

which links to

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/cardz/

Eventually I settled on a couple of Linksys LNE100TX cards. They are based
on some ADMtek chipset which is a clone of the tulip, so they can use the
tulip driver. IIRC they cost 14 EUR each. So far I've been happy with them.

> i hope you dont find posting to -project too wildly off-topic,

I cross-posted this to debian-user which I think is more appropriate.

--
Janne