Re: IDE Bus rescan

On Thursday 09 September 2004 08:25, pir aa wrote:
> Is there a way to rescan the IDE Bus under Linux. (Not looking at the
> need of HW). The only thing I want to know, is if I can rescan the Bus
> after power on. I heard about hdparm -U and hdparm -R, but does it really
> make a rescan and realizes the new HD?
> Thx Pir

Hotswap might do what you need:
$ apt-cache show hotswap
Package: hotswap
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 12
Maintainer: Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@agi.as>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.4.0-6
Depends: hotswap-text, hotswap-gui
Filename: pool/main/h/hotswap/hotswap_0.4.0-6_all.deb
Size: 4252
MD5sum: 66cbb12510734bacda7ed606c68e37b8
 Hotswap is a utility to register and deregister hotswappable IDE
 hardware. It is written to be used on Laptops with some sort of
 hardware bay to remove the module from the machine without rebooting
 it. eg. Dell Laptops.
 .
 Note that this utility is not required to insert or remove batteries
 or floppy disk drives; only for IDE devices.
 .
 This is a meta-package that Depends on both the command line tool
 and the graphical front-ends to allow seamless upgrades.

I've got a Dell laptop, and hotswap works OK.  I can't seem to get
non-privileged users permission to run it, but root runs it OK.  Sometimes,
I have a problem, but it generally works.

Justin Guerin