help please

Hello, my name is Enrico.
My problem is that a strange thing append when I reboot the system using a new kernel I've configured.
In fact, if I boot like root the system goes ok and all seems to work. So I terminate the session and try to enter like user and during the kde starting fase the system automatically shut down showing a black screen in which I read someting like that:
" freeing memory.....
stoppyng task .....
...APIC error on #CPU0: 00(00)..... writing pages on swap....
shut down the machine...."

When then I rebbot the system I always find the swap partition disattivated, also if I reboot the system whit the old Knoppix-precompiled 2.4.26 kernel, and I've to type mkswap and swapon to reactivate the swap partition.

For information I use knoppix 3.4 and I've 512 Mb ram and a swap partition of 1000 Mb.

Can you help me?

Thanks!!!