Re: NIS server doesn't start

On 5 Sep 2004 23:28:59 -0700, Andreas <claudia.biewald@andreas-block.de> wrote:
> high,
> I tried today to install a NIS Server on a PC with debian woody, but
> in vain.
>
> The way was as following:
> -> apt-get install NIS (portmap was automatically installed too)
> -> during installation I was asked for NIS-Domainname: Einrichtung
> -> /etc/defaultdomain now contains Einrichtung
> -> Name of PC: linux_server
> -> /etc/hosts containes a row for localhost and one for
> linux_server.Einrichtung.local linux_server
> -> /etc/init.d/nis has got one change: NISSERVER=master
> -> no changes in /var/yp/Makefile. As long as I see, the Skript
> automatically detects if there are
>    shadow passwords (my system uses them)
> -> no changes in /etc/ypserv.securenets
> -> With these settings I executed /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m. The script
> suggested as NIS-Name the hostname
>    (linux_server)

The i am smelling is that your hostname lookup (DNS)
not working properly ,so first  you have to check by

#nslookup NIS_SERVER

if it is working properly then you just check the howto
at http://www.geocities.com/mk_azeem/liscence.html

and check the chapter of NIS server, i hope you will find
some help from this document.