Subject: Re: CDROM permission problems Gnome 2.6

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:20:25 +0200
From: Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

david abernethy <david.abernethy@clear.net.nz> writes:

> My problem is that I can't rip audio cd's logged in as an ordinary user
> using sound-juicer, but I can logged in as root.  I also can't write CDs
> using nautilus CD burner

can you mount  CD-Rom's as a _regular_ user?

If yes then there is something with your ripper. ( I use Grip so I can't
tell you more)

Yes I can mount CDs. I can also burn cds from the command line using sudo. It is a general problem with some Gnome 2.6 cdrom device alias issue since neither ripping or Nautilus CD burner work logged into Gnome2.6 as a normal user. If I log into Gnome as root the ripper works, I haven't checked CD burning but I suspect it works too. Hence it is a permissions problem on the device. I've made myself a member of cdrom group and reset the groups (to cdrom) on every permutation of the device and it's aliases I can think of without fixing the problem. It is likely both programs use some device alias I have not thought of. I'm guessing anyone who knows the device alias these programs use will know the solution to this problem.
David