file/dir rights management

Hi all,

On my system I want to keep users from
browsing the '/home' directory. Unfortunately,
when I do a 'chmod o-r /home', the user
can't login via ftp anymore. When the user
logs in via ssh, he gets the root directory
as its home. He can, however, do a 'cd /home/myhome'
then, and then he is in his homedirectory.

Similiar with the '/etc' directory. I know, that
a normal user cannot change or read passwords,
but I want him not to to browse the contents
of '/etc'. Can I do this without breaking his
ability to login?

Tnx in advance

Martin

--